Spring is in the air and it’s time for the traditional “Spring Cleaning” activities to begin. I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait to open the windows and let some fresh air in. Typically, I spend the winter months organizing, straightening and surface cleaning. To be honest, I prefer to spend those cold days cuddled up with a great book or cooking up some new crock pot recipes. However, at the first sign of spring I actually get excited about giving every inch of my home a shine.
I have found in the past that the best way to get the job done in a time efficient manner is with a “To-Do” list or checklist. I have included a downloadable Spring Cleaning Checklist here. I thought I would share my list to help you get started. It may seem a little long but many of the tasks aren’t that time consuming. If you start your cleaning with a sunny attitude you may also find the jobs get done faster. Turn on some music and dance your way through the rooms with sponges and rags in hand. Most importantly plan a special reward for yourself when the list is complete. Good Luck! Get Cleaning!
- Wash the walls, floor, ceiling, the front door and the trim.
- Empty out coat closet, sort what you’re keeping, wash floors and walls and return to closet.
- Dust light fixtures and clean light switches.
- Wash door knobs and wall switch plates.
- Replace batteries in the smoke detector and test
- Wipe down the ceiling, walls, light switches, switch plates.
- If carpeted, vacuum and steam clean
- Remove window screens and wash them
- Clean windows and sills
- Wash floor vents and covers
- Clean blinds with a mild solution
- Vacuum and spot clean sofas
- Dust electronics carefully avoiding disconnecting any wires and tidy them up accordingly
- Clean hardwood floors according to manufacturer’s instructions
- Dust shelving, organize books, DVD’s, CD’s and donate what you no longer need
Kitchen / Dining Area:
- Remove and clean all kitchen coverings and clean according to manufacturers recommendations
- Remove screen on windows and wash Wash windows and sills
- Thoroughly clean out fridge and dispose of past code date food. Also clean the top of fridge
- Thoroughly clean freezer and organize
- Thoroughly clean stove and oven
- Wash ceiling, walls and floor and make sure to pull appliances out to wash behind and under them
- Run dishwasher in empty cycle to clean it thoroughly
- Empty, clean and organize cupboards and drawers
- Wash down backsplash and countertops
- Wash down light switches, switch plates
- Vacuum dust built up on fridge coils
- Clean coffee maker
- Sharpen all the butcher knifes
- Dust and clean light fixtures
- Clean toilet inside and outside.
- Remove seat and clean around the seat bolts
- Organize and wash thoroughly the vanities and cabinets
- Clean sink and drain and shine faucets
- Wipe down ceiling, walls, doors and door knobs
- Wash shower curtain and liner
- Wash bath mat and towels
- Remove screens and wash, clean windows and sills
- Clean shower and tub
- Wash grout and replace where needed
- Clean mirror and frame
- Clean light fixtures, wall switch plates
- Wash floors and baseboards
- Empty drawers, clean and re-organize and donate what you won’t be using
- Remove items from closet, clean ceiling, walls and doors and then organize and return
- Remove window screen and wash, clean windows and sills
- Launder bedding, flip and rotate mattress
- Replace batteries in smoke detector and test
- Remove items stored under bed and vacuum floor
- Dust blinds and vacuum drapes
- Wash floor registers, vent covers and light socket and switch plates
- Dust ceiling corners, curtain rods and light fixtures
- Steam clean carpets
- Remove window screens and wash them along with windows and sills
- Clean out dryer vent and make sure it’s secured in place
- Pull out dryer and washing machine and clean thoroughly
- Wash floors and walls behind appliances
- Empty cabinets and shelving, clean and organize
- Wipe down ceilings, walls light fixtures, shelving, cabinets and wall and light cover plates
- Wash and clean the lint trap from dryer thoroughly
- Wash floor vents and covers, door knobs and doors
- Clean blinds
There are other areas in the home I have not included on my list but this should be a great start. If you have a basement or a garage you may want to make a checklist to motivate you to get them cleaned and organized this spring. Happy Cleaning!