Making your house secure and keeping your family safe may be easier then you think. Start securing your home by answering this question:
“How would I break into my home if I lost or forgot my keys and had no way to contact anyone?”
Did something come to mind? Well, that is your starting place. If you thought of one or more ways, so can a burglar. So address that issue first and foremost. Then review the tips below to add further protection for your home, property and family.
10 Home Security Tips
- If you have a security system make sure you have signage to let everyone know.
- Don’t put your extra key near the front door. Leave it with a trusted neighbour or friend.
- Use a wood dowel or metal bar in the track of your sliding patio door to prevent entry.
- Make sure you lock your windows when you leave the house.
- Use motion sensor lighting for your back and side yards.
- Put a secure lock on your backyard shed so that tools used in break-ins can’t be easily accessed.
- Never leave your ladder outdoors. Ladders left out are an excellent way to enter upstairs windows.
- Keep the inside garage door locked at all times
- Install deadlocks on all doors.
- Keep shrubs and trees trimmed around windows and doors. Don’t give the burglar a place to hide.
By implementing even a few of these security strategies you are on your way to a more secure home.