Making your house secure and keeping your family safe may be easier then you think. Start securing your home by answering this question:
“How would I break into my home if I lost or forgot my keys and had no way to contact anyone?”
Did something come to mind? Well, that is your starting place. If you thought of one or more ways, so can a burglar. So address that issue first and foremost. Then review the tips below to add further protection for your home, property and family.
10 Home Security Tips
- If you have a security system make sure you have signage to let everyone know.
- Don’t put your extra key near the front door. Leave it with a trusted neighbour or friend.
- Use a wood dowel or metal bar in the track of your sliding patio door to prevent entry.
- Make sure you lock your windows when you leave the house.
- Use motion sensor lighting for your back and side yards.
- Put a secure lock on your backyard shed so that tools used in break-ins can’t be easily accessed.
- Never leave your ladder outdoors. Ladders left out are an excellent way to enter upstairs windows.
- Keep the inside garage door locked at all times
- Install deadlocks on all doors.
- Keep shrubs and trees trimmed around windows and doors. Don’t give the burglar a place to hide.
By implementing even a few of these security strategies you are on your way to a more secure home.
For more Security Tips visit my PINTEREST board
I was born in and am native to Chatham, Ontario. I began my real estate career in 1989, I have been a member of the MLS Chatham-Kent Real Estate Board since 1989. I joined the Royal LePage Sales Team in 2001. I’ve been helping my clients buy and sell homes in the Chatham-Kent area for over 25 years. Please give me a call today at (519) 401-5470 for a free, no-obligation consultation.